Buyer Protection Policy
What is the Akademos Buyer Protection Policy?
We have tried to create a marketplace environment in which Buyers have access to the most relevant information regarding a product's condition and description before purchasing. There may be times, however, when a purchase does not meet the minimum expectations of a Buyer. To protect our Buyers, we offer the Buyer Protection Policy. Every Akademos Buyer is covered under the Buyer Protection Policy for the first $100 of every purchase, subject to the guidelines below.
What should I do if I have a problem?
If you, as a Buyer, have a problem with a purchase, you must first contact the Seller through the Akademos Buyer/Seller Communication function, provided that one or more of the following conditions exist:
- Book was never received - A book that should have arrived has not.
- A book is "materially different" from the way it was rated - A book is materially different if it is damaged, or varies significantly in quality from the way it is listed. Many books listed at Akademos are previously owned, so some wear and tear is to be expected. However, there are several clear cases of material difference that should not occur. As a general rule, a book should never be more than two (2) condition descriptions below its listed condition. To learn more about quality conditions, please consult the Seller Pricing and Quality Rating Policy.
- A book is shipped to you incorrectly - For example, you order one book and getanother.
How do I use Buyer/Seller Communication?
To use Buyer/Seller Communication, go to "Your Account" and click the "Your Purchases" link. Find the correct order and click "View Details". Click the red "Buyer/Seller Communication" button. Follow directions given on the Buyer/Seller Communication pages.
Once you have completed this process there are several possible outcomes:
- If the problem has been resolved, the transaction is considered as completed.
- If the Buyer is to be refunded, Akademos will issue a refund approximately 10 days after Buyer/Seller Communication has been completed, if all of the Guidelines listed below are met.
- In some cases the Buyer may need to return the book to the Seller. The Seller will either swap the book with you or will authorize a refund upon receipt of the returned book.
- If the problem has not been resolved, you will need to file a Buyer Protection Report.
What are the Guidelines of Buyer/Seller Communication?
- You must attempt to resolve your problem with the Seller through Buyer/Seller Communication before you submit your Buyer Protection Report. While there may occasionally be problems, most problems are simple misunderstandings. In addition, you may not initiate Buyer/Seller Communication (or submit a Buyer Protection Policy Report to Akademos) if you have instructed your credit card company to charge back the disputed book. Buyers that go though their credit card company to dispute a charge may have their Akademos membership suspended.
- Buyers can use Buyer/Seller Communication on an unlimited basis.
What are the Guidelines for the Buyer Protection Policy?
- When you order, we provide an estimated arrival date for each book in your order. The vast majority of the books you order will arrive within that timeframe. In rare instances, books will take somewhat longer to arrive due to shipping carrier delays and other factors beyond the Seller's control. You must therefore wait 30 days from the date of your order to submit your Buyer Protection Report.
- You have a maximum of 60 days from the date of your order to file a Buyer Protection Policy Report.
- Buyers are limited to filing one Buyer Protection Report per month with a lifetime maximum of three Buyer Protection Reports. There is a $100 per book limit on the Buyer Protection Policy.
- Buyers are limited to filing a Buyer Protection Report for Sellers that are not rated, or who have a rating of 3.0 or better.
What happens if I submit my Buyer Protection Report to Akademos?
If the Buyer has followed the Guidelines of the Buyer/Seller Communication, Akademos will contact the Seller to give them another chance to resolve the problem. Akademos may also contact the Buyer for more information. In most circumstances, the Seller and Buyer will be able to resolve the problem. If the problem can't be resolved a refund may be issued at the discretion of Akademos. Refunds will be issued to the original credit card used for the transaction. Refunds will appear on your credit card statement in accordance with the rules and regulations of your credit card issuer. Please see your card agreement for more details.
What if the book is not "materially different", but I disagree with the Seller's rating of the book?
We provide detailed guidelines to Sellers for rating the quality of the books they list on Akademos. You cannot submit a Buyer Protection Report for books that are not materially different from
the seller rating.
Unless there is a material discrepancy between what the Seller offered and what the Buyer received (incorrect book, misrepresented condition, etc.), all returns to the Seller are at the sole discretion of the Seller and must be agreed to by the Seller in advance of the return. Buyers must initiate this contact through Buyer/Seller Communication.
Fraud will never pay at Akademos.
Attempts to abuse the Akademos Buyer Protection Policy will be investigated very seriously. Akademos reserves the right to suspend the membership of any Buyer or Seller we feel has attempted to commit fraud by misusing this policy for his or her own personal gain. Akademos also reserves the right to reduce a Seller's account balance, withdraw from a Seller's ACH account or charge a Seller's credit card in order to recover damages related to fraud. In addition, abuse of this policy is a criminal offense and violators will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.